Eastern Washington Wildfire Resources

Right now, Eastern Washington is facing the heartbreaking effects of wildfiresWhile fires aren’t new to us, the impact of recent fires is unimaginable. It took my breath away to see the devastation in Malden and Pine City. I thank all who have responded — neighbors, firefighters, local officials, the veteran center, the Red Cross, and many more. 

I will be working with and supporting state and local officials and doing everything I can on the federal level to ensure our communities have the resources they need to rebuild. My team and I are continuing to monitor the ongoing fires and will support first responders in containing these fires however possible.  

Below is a list of federal, state, and local resources to help keep you and your families safe and recover from wildfires. Please contact my office at 509-353-2374 should you or a loved one need assistance or guidance.  

— Cathy


Federal Resources 

Small Business Administration low-interest federal disaster loans are available to Washington businesses and residents. Click here to learn more and apply.

  • Businesses of all sizes and private nonprofit organizations may borrow up to $2 million to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory and other business assets.
  • Disaster loans up to $200,000 are available to homeowners to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate. Homeowners and renters are eligible for up to $40,000 to repair or replace damaged or destroyed personal property.
  • If you need assistance, please contact the SBA at (800) 659-2955.

Housing and Urban Development resources, including mortgage assistance, are available here. You can learn more by calling (800) 304-9320.

Agriculture-related losses: Contact your local USDA Farm Service Agency office to report agriculture-related losses. 

Flooding: The risk of flooding increases after wildfire. To learn how to prepare for flooding in your neighborhood visit FEMA’s FloodSmart webpage.   

Food and cash assistance: The DSHS Community Services Offices are serving clients who may need replacement food and cash assistance as a result of the wildfires. Call 1-877-501-2233 for more information.    

Lost livestock assistance: Those that lost livestock in the wildfires may qualify for help from U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Livestock Indemnity Program. 

Tree grower assistance: Growers who lost trees to wildfires may qualify for help from U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Tree Assistant Program.  

Protect your home from wildfires by creating defensible space. 


State Resources

Washington Dept. of Natural Resources: You can stay up to date on DNR Wildfire’s twitter. More info on wildfires on their webpage and their burn risk map 

Business assistance: If your business was impacted by wildfire, the Dept. of Commerce has resources that can help. 

Driver license and document replacement: If you or someone you know lost their driver license or ID card, the Dept. of Licensing is offering expedited services for individuals affected by the wildfires. The service is available online, by phone (360.902.0172), or in person. 

Finances: Resources for handling finances after a natural disaster. 

Health insurance: Apple Health (Medicaid) clients affected by the wildfires who have questions or problems can call their regional enrollment specialists for help: 

  • East Wenatchee: Located at Chelan-Douglas Health Dept. Call 509-860-5590 or 509-886-6419 
  • Omak: Located at Mid-Valley Hospital. Call 509-826-8186 
  • Republic: Located at Republic Medical Clinic. Call 509-775-3153, ext. 497 
  • Wenatchee: Located at Columbia Valley Community Health. Call 509-661-3651 

Insurance coverage: Anyone with questions about insurance coverage related to wildfires can call the Office of the Insurance Commissioner (OIC) at 1-800-562-6900 to speak with experts. OIC has tips for filing a claim after a natural disaster and information for homeowners about wildfires and their insurance.  

Tax assistance: 

Unemployment assistance: Workers and businesses impacted by wildfires may qualify for unemployment benefits or assistance. 

State park burn ban alerts by park. 

State park closures: Stay up to date via State Parks Twitter or Facebook.  

Artists: If you’re an artist and your work has been impacted, visit the WA Arts Commission page for more info.  


County Resources

Air quality index here (lookup by city).

Veteran assistance: Veterans who have been affected by wildfires and need help should contact their County Veterans Program. 

Asotin County: 

Columbia County: 

Spokane County:  

Walla Walla County: 

Whitman County: 

Stevens Country: 

Pend Oreille County: 

Lincoln County: 

 Ferry County: 

Garfield County: 


Community Resources

Anyone affected or displaced by these devastating fires is urged to contact the American Red Cross for assistance with lodging, food, and other necessities. The Greater Inland Northwest American Red Cross can be reached at (509) 326-3330, or you can click here.

The Pine Creek Community Long-Term Recovery Organization  is working on the ground to connect residents with the resources the need. You can learn more about their efforts here.

United Way of Whitman County is working to connect the victims with residents who can provide shelter. You can learn more here . 

The Salvation Army is providing food, water and emotional support to evacuees and first responders in several locations. You can learn more here and find a location near you here. 

You can also access food at a 2nd Harvest community food bank. Information by counthere 

Catholic Charities of Eastern Washington have put together a relief fund and offer other emergency services. Learn more here. 

The Harvest Assembly of God, a church in Rosalia, opened its doors to shelter Malden and Pine City residents who lost their homes and is providing three free meals a day. Their contact information here 

Community Action Agencies: 

  • Blue Mountain Action Council (Walla Walla, WA)  Services include: Food, Housing, Employment and Education, Energy Assistance, Legal and Ombudsman, Commitment to Community, Forms.
  • Community Action Center (Pullman, WA ) – Services include: Energy & Weatherization, Housing & Assistance, Community Food, Other.
  • Community Action Partnership (Lewiston, ID) – Services include: Area Agency on Aging, Apartment Rentals, Energy Bills, Food, Move Forward out of Poverty
  • Rural Resources Community Action (Newport, WADavenport, WA, Colville, WA, and Republic, WA)  Services include: Community Living Connections, Employment and Training, Head Start anEarly Childhood Education, Housing Energy and Weatherization, Transportation, Victim Services  


Donate and Volunteer

The Washington State Department of Natural Resources is still looking for qualified volunteers. Find information here. 

Opportunities to volunteer in the Spokane area are found here. 

Volunteers for the Emergency Management of Animals Network is connecting volunteer services with animal owners during crises. Volunteers can provide temporary homes or transportation to a wide variety of animals. To sign up click here. 

Click here to donate to the Whitman County Fire Community Relief Fund. 

Click here to donate to the American Red Cross’ Northwest Region. 

Click here to donate to GoFundMe’s Washington wildfire relief effort. 

Click here to donate to Innovia Foundation’s Wildfire Emergency Response Fund.