RULE BILLS **A rule bill is a bill passed through a full House vote under a rule that has been voted and agreed upon by the Rules Committee….
D.C. CONGRESSIONAL INTERNSHIP PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
Program Description: The goal of this internship program is to provide an opportunity to learn about the legislative process and to instill a sense of public service. Interns will be regarded as full-time staff members and are expected to operate in that capacity.
Position Summary: Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, administrative duties such as managing the front office, giving tours, answering phone calls, and building the constituent database. This experience will equip interns with tools, skills and experiences that can be readily applied to any future challenges or career endeavors. Interns are encouraged to express their particular interests and connect to staff members for advice and direction as they explore a career in government. Interns who demonstrate an ability to execute administrative duties with excellence will be given the opportunity to take on more substantive tasks related to policy. Interns report directly to the staff assistant.
Application & Notification deadlines are contingent on the House calendar. Internships are available on a rolling basis for Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer quarters.
- Responsibility for the front office
- Answering phones and inputting comments into a constituent database
- Providing excellent service to constituents over the phone and in person
- Giving tours to constituents
- Timely and accurate entry of business cards
- Running errands
- Experience in project management
- Meeting project deadlines as assigned
- Delivering high quality results
- Mandatory IQ training
- Mandatory Capitol tour training
- Exposure to the political aspects of government
Skills and Knowledge Required:
- Highly motivated with ability to multitask
- Superb writing ability
- Highly detail oriented and organized
- Professional telephone manner
- Ability to communicate with a variety of individuals in a professional manner
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, and Excel
**To apply for an internship please submit a cover letter, resume, and brief writing sample to Matthew.Cardenas@mail.house.gov*