Washington, D.C. – Eastern Washington Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers (WA-05) today released the following statement after the House of Representatives passed the Fiscal Responsibility Act (H.R. 3746).
“This is the largest deficit reduction bill in the history of the United States. It will provide long overdue relief to families in Eastern Washington getting crushed under inflation by saving them $2.1 trillion and slashing Democrats’ out-of-control spending.” said Rodgers. “It is the largest rescission package in history that claws back billions of dollars in unspent COVID funds, repeals funding for Biden’s army of IRS agents, and adds more work requirements for adults receiving SNAP benefits. It also makes some of the most significant reforms to the federal permitting process in more than four decades, with more work to come to further grow the economy and lower energy costs. Most importantly, this bill is a definitive step towards changing the way we do business in Washington, D.C. and getting our runaway debt under control for the next generation.”
About the Fiscal Responsibility Act:
Stops Out-of-Control Inflationary Spending
- Cuts spending by 2.13 trillion over the next 6 years, which is the largest spending cut Congress has ever voted on in United States history, according to the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO).
- Rolls back non-defense discretionary spending to FY22 Levels while fully funding VA medical care.
- Limits topline federal spending to 1% annual growth for the next 6 years.
Lifts More Americans Out of Poverty
- Enacts common sense reforms, including work requirements, to SNAP and TANF to save taxpayer dollars, get Americans back to work, and grow the economy.
- The age of able-bodied adults without dependents subject to work requirements is shifted from 18-49 to 18-54 with new exceptions for homeless individuals, veterans, and youth aging out of foster care.
Claws Back Tens of Billions in Unspent COVID Funds
- Slashes $400 million from the CDC “Global Health Fund” that sends taxpayer money to China and billions in other programs for the largest total rescissions package in history.
Reins in Executive Overreach
- Enacts the first ever statutory Administrative Pay-Go to hold President Biden accountable for the full cost of executive rules and regulations, which should save taxpayers trillions of dollars.
Cuts Red Tape and Streamline Energy & Infrastructure Projects
- Accelerates projects and cuts costs with the first significant reform to the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) since 1982.
Slashes Funding for Biden’s New IRS Agents
- Nixes the total FY23 staffing funding request for new IRS agents.
Restarts Student Loan Repayments
- Requires borrowers to be responsible for paying off their student loan debts, saving taxpayers an estimated $5 billion per month.
Makes Congress Work Again
- Compels a functioning appropriations process by imposing a temporary 99% CR-level cap until all 12 appropriations bills are enacted.
Protects Our Seniors, Veterans, and America’s National Security
- Ensures full funding for critical veterans programs and national defense priorities, while preserving Social Security and Medicare.
Blocks Biden & Congressional Democrat Demands for New Taxes
- Rejects all of Biden’s $5 trillion in proposed new tax increases, new government mandates, and new federal programs.
CLICK HERE to read the bill.